ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST / PLANNER
Soundview Consultants is an environmental consulting firm located on the beautiful waterfront of Gig Harbor, Washington. We are renowned for our wetland, shoreline, and habitat consulting services and take pride in our solutions oriented approach to each project’s unique environmental permitting and compliance needs.
We are seeking a qualified candidate to join Soundview Consultants as an Environmental Scientist and/or Planner to help manage a range of environmental projects involving wetlands, streams, protected habitats, and marine shorelines. The ideal candidate will fit into our fun and professional work environment, value a healthy work-life balance, and communicate effectively with co-workers, clients, and regulatory personnel. The ideal candidate will also have prior project management experience, preferably in the environmental industry, and possess good technical writing skills.
Our vision is for the selected candidate to work in our waterfront Gig Harbor office in order to collaborate with fellow team members on a daily basis, though we will consider alternative work arrangements for experienced candidate(s) that require minimal training. Soundview Consultants does currently employ several remote staff that reside between Bellingham and Olympia.
As a leading natural resources consulting firm in the Pacific Northwest with a strong and ever-growing client base, Soundview Consultants has a need for a scientist, biologist, environmental planner, Professional Wetland Scientist, or similarly qualified professional to help manage our robust project load.
A mid-level hire (3-5+ years) may begin with Soundview Consultants by supporting and learning from our existing Project Managers; typical tasks could include performing wetland and stream delineations, managing field crews, researching environmental regulations, developing project strategies, preparing environmental permit applications, managing internal mapping and design needs, and writing/reviewing technical scientific documentation. A senior-level hire (5-10+ years) may start managing wetland, shoreline, and habitat projects immediately with the full support of our talented group of environmental professionals.
All staff at Soundview Consultants have opportunities for training and diverse work assignments, such as wetland and stream delineations, eelgrass delineations, dive surveys, forage fish surveys, electrofishing and fish recovery, mitigation monitoring, construction oversight, boat navigation, endangered species surveys, and tree assessments, depending on interest, experience, and company needs.
The selected candidate will work collaboratively with co-workers, clients, and partners (such as civil and geotechnical engineers, surveyors, architects, archaeologists, and planners) to provide design and permitting support for a wide variety of public and private development and land use projects. Representative project components include: wetland assessments, compensatory wetland mitigation plans, stream restoration plans, threatened and endangered species surveys, shoreline assessments and restoration plans, tree retention plans, landscape design, and similar environmental permitting support.
Typical job responsibilities will depend on the individual candidate’s interest and level of experience but may include:
- Manage a diverse range of natural resource and environmental planning projects OR provide assistance to existing Project Managers during the initial training stage.
- Provide direction to and oversight of field biologists performing wetland, stream, habitat, and shoreline delineations and assessments.
- Manage and track environmental permit applications and documentation (e.g., wetland reports, biological evaluations, JARPAs, habitat assessments, water quality plans, shoreline assessments, and mitigation plans).
- Research and analyze critical areas codes and other environmental regulations.
- Develop and manage project scopes, timelines, and budgets showing follow-through and competence.
- Collaborate with co-workers, clients, and partners to develop strategic and effective planning solutions.
- Build and maintain collaborative and positive relationships with regulatory staff and tribal representatives.
- Provide exceptional level of customer service.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.S. in Environmental Sciences (e.g., biology, wetland science, ecology), Planning, or other applicable degree
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in planning, consulting, or project management
- Comprehensive understanding of wetland assessment methodology, freshwater, marine, and terrestrial ecology, wetland and stream mitigation, and relevant regulations such as the Clean Water Act, Shoreline Management Act, Growth Management Act, Endangered Species Act, and SEPA/NEPA
- Technology savvy and computer literacy at a moderate level with MS Office Products, with proficiency in Outlook and Word
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and leadership qualities
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and detail oriented
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks to completion
- Valid WA State Driver’s License (or ability to obtain) and reliable personal transportation with insurance
- Read, write, and speak English at an expert level
- Type proficiently of at least 40 words per minute
Our Benefits Package and What we Offer:
- Competitive Salary with Bonus Potential
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Paid Education Opportunities
- Simple IRA with annual Company match up to 3%
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Paid Company Holidays
- Group Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability and Workers’ Compensation
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- ERP (Employee Referral Program)
Soundview Consultants is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.