You are a detail-oriented and self-motivated scientist with experience in scientific and technical writing skills. You enjoy a dynamic, yet reliable, office environment and excel within team collaboration and communication. You can demonstrate your excellent written communication through providing a well-prepared cover letter revealing the reasons for applying for this position. Your information is well-organized, with a professional display, and shows your proven diligent work history.
Full-time, non-exempt provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible. Typical hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is considered primarily an office position split with field support responsibilities covering the greater Puget Sound area. Candidates must be able to provide project experience and examples of scientific writing performed.
A Day in the Life of a Staff Scientist:
- Preparing first drafts to Wetland Assessment Reports, Biological Evaluations, JARPAs, Technical Memorandums and Habitat Assessments exhibiting excellent scientific writing
- Embedding “red line” edits from team into draft reports demonstrating attention to detail and understanding of context
- Drafting and finalizing reports by compiling components into report body (ie: Appendices, Table of Contents, etc.), printing, binding, etc. with a professional finished product
- Filing, prioritizing, categorizing emails to ensure project awareness and overview based on Managers direction
- Review background information for projects with critical thinking and understanding of the bigger picture (i.e. Topo maps, Google Earth maps; National Wetland Inventory maps; Salmonscape maps: etc.)
- Submitting and tracking permits and completing other agency requirements showing follow through and competence
- Detailed attention to filing in digital libraries and physical files
- Researching regulatory code and sharing findings demonstrating analysis abilities
- Preparing documents and mobilization for site visits indicating forethought and team-work
- Maintain collaborative and positive relationships
- Ability to work independently
Skills and Experience Needed to Apply:
- Minimum of 1 year of recent consulting and/or regulatory experience in Washington State
- BS degree in Wetland Science, Fisheries, Biology, Plant/Soil Science, Ecology or related scientific disciplines
- Appropriate supplementary training and experience in wetland delineation, ordinary high-water determinations, biological assessments, regional assessment methods, and regulatory issues a plus
- Skills and experience in project coordination a plus
- Possess ability to organize multi-project information and responsibilities
- Identification knowledge of Washington plant species
- Excellent scientific writing ability in the English language
- Experience with software solutions and small organizations
- Valid WA State Driver’s License and reliable personal transportation
- Ability to work productively in office settings
- Technology savvy and computer literacy at a moderate+ level with MS Office is required
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks to completion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Aptitude to perform with fast paced demands and high challenges
- Read, write, and speak English well
- Typing proficiently of at least 40 words per minute
- Self-Motivated and Self-Directed
About Soundview Consultants:
SVC is a well-respected environmental consulting firm focused primarily on natural resource assessments, environmental planning and permitting, and compliance services for projects with an aquatic regulatory nexus. We specialize in both marine and land use issues; site planning and project design; project coordination; permitting and management; marine, wetland, and stream ecology; habitat restoration; wetland, stream, and eelgrass delineations and assessments; benthic surveys; underwater and terrestrial monitoring programs as well as mitigation planning.
Our scientists work with many of the Pacific Northwest’s leading companies, public entities, and regulatory agencies with a notably high level of success in achieving client goals and project entitlements. We have achieved this success while maintaining an exciting and positive workplace environment in a unique historic waterfront setting in Gig Harbor, Washington.
Our Benefits Package and What We Offer:
- PTO (Vacation/Sick)
- Paid holidays
- Retirement with employer contribution
- Education, incentive & bonus programs
- Positive culture and professional environment
- Talented and diversely disciplined team
- Solid reputation in the environmental industry
Soundview Consultants, LLC is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Please provide your cover letter and resume.