Ben brings a wealth of experience in fisheries biology and aquatic resources to Soundview. Ben’s background includes endangered species and water quality monitoring, NEPA documentation, and long-term ecological monitoring programs related to lakes, streams, water quality and climate.
Ben Wright is an Environmental Planner and Fisheries Biologist with a varied background in lake ecology, stream ecology, fisheries biology, water quality and climate science. Ben has 13 years of experience at the federal level providing technical assistance for both the development of infrastructure projects and management of aquatic resources. He has experience developing biological assessments, water quality monitoring plans, and fisheries management plans. Ben has an additional 10 years of experience working on long-term ecological monitoring programs related to lakes, streams, water quality and climate.
Ben earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Genetics and Cell Biology with an emphasis in aquatic ecology from Washington State University and has a graduate certificate in Fisheries Management from Oregon State University. Ben’s expertise includes endangered species monitoring, assessments and permitting, and NEPA documentation across disciplines gained during his work on federal highway projects. Ben also has experience in fish population assessments, utilizing genetic analysis, spawning escapement and movement studies.
Education and Professional Development
- B.S., Genetics and Cell Biology with emphasis in Aquatic Ecology – Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- Graduate Certificate in Fisheries Management – Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Professional Certifications, Training, and Workshops
- Certified Electrofisher – NW Environmental Training Center
- Operational leadership – National Park Service
- Crucial Conversations – National Park Service
- Certified Fisheries Biologist – American Fisheries Society (In Review)
Professional Employment History (abbreviated)
- 2019-Present – Soundview Consultants LLC, Gig Harbor, WA
Environmental Scientist – Natural resources and land use consulting
- 2005-2019 – National Park Service, Longmire, WA
Aquatic Ecologist – Long term monitoring program field lead, fisheries and water quality NEPA compliance specialist.
- 2001-2011 – Crystal Mountain, Inc., Enumclaw, WA
Assistant Avalanche Program Manager – Led avalanche mitigation, education, documentation and regulatory compliance.
- 2004-2006 – University of Montana, Missoula, MT
Research Specialist – Fish population genetic assessments.
- 2003-2004 – US Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station, Missoula, MT
Biological Science Technician – Bull trout and steelhead habitat assessments.